Voting by Mail: Still the Best Way to Vote
We have a couple of unique opportunities in the next two weeks: help us celebrate National Register to Vote Month (September) by writing letters to help students register; and participate in a Debate Watch Party with a chance to support one of Maine’s Somali communities.
Help Town Clerks Get out the Message:Don’t wait until Election Day to Register!
Town clerks are afraid that the time-honored tradition of registering to vote on Election Day in Maine will result in a flood of people at polling sites registering, which takes much longer than just voting. So they’re pushing Sept. 22 as National Voter Registration day to get everyone registered in advance. What can you do? Read on.
Write Letters to Register Maine Students
For our part, we are writing letters containing voting materials to over 4000 Maine college students, so they can register and vote absentee without leaving their couch. And WE NEED LOTS OF HELP–200 volunteers in fact–to make this happen. Go here to sign up.
Letter Projects Work!
Thanks to everyone who helped to send letters over the past several weeks to 7,200 potential new Democratic voters in Maine. The letters had everything the voters needed to make it easy, simple and safe to register to vote, and we have heard back that many of the people we wrote to have now registered!
Watch the Senate Debate & Support Somali Voters
Join us for a virtual debate-watch party and post-deate discussion where we’ll cheer on our Senate candidate, Sara Gideon. Right before the debate, join us to learn more about an important project to help ensure that the voices of Somali and other African immigrants in Lewiston are heard in this election. Swing Left Maine and Swing Blue Alliance are raising funds to support the work of the New Mainers Alliance, an immigrant-led organization focused on voter education and empowerment.
Before the debate, from 6:30 to 7:00, hear from community leaders about how you can help.
- Friday, Sept. 11, starting at 6:30 pm — sign up HERE.
- Learn more about the New Mainers Alliance project and make a donation HERE.
Join Our “That’s Why” Campaign: Make a 30-Second Video Testimonial
We’re asking volunteers to make short video testimonials about why you are supporting Sara Gideon and/or why it’s so important to vote this year. Each video will end with the statement, “And that’s why…” If you’re willing to give it a try, email Hallie at email@example.com for details.
Help Protect Every Vote
- Pressure Gov. Mills to make voting safe. She is about to issue an executive order any now encompassing all voter safety issues, so don’t wait. Read these “Take Action” items and then call the governor today to urge she adopt them: (207) 287-3531.
- Are you young and healthy? Consider becoming trained as a poll worker — sign up HERE.
- Volunteers of any age are needed for the Maine Dems’ voter protection team — sign up HERE. Or join the nonpartisan voter protection team through the League of Women Voters — sign up HERE.
But first… Make Sure Your Ballot is Counted
- It is critical that everyone vote as early as possible, either by absentee ballot or at your local clerk’s office. Don’t delay! Request your absentee ballot. Ballots will be mailed out at the beginning of October.