Weeks Until the Election:
If you’re thinking maybe you’ll volunteer for something in November–consider this: Much of this election is going to be decided long before Nov. 3. We need you now.
Many of your friends have started dedicating parts of each week to working on behalf of Sara Gideon, Jared Golden and Joe Biden. Could you join them? We have lots of ways you can contribute. Here’s a sampling, plus a wrap-up of the news in Maine.
Make a video testimonial
Join us for a one-hour workshop where you’ll learn how to film a short personal video about why you’re supporting Sara Gideon and other Democrats this November.
- Tuesday, August 11, 6:30 to 7:30 pm – sign up HERE.
Phone banking: keep on calling, or get trained for the first time
Thanks to everyone who has joined in for a phone bank training and other activities. 200 people were trained last weekend! We plan to talk to every Mainer who is willing to pick up the phone. Be part of our Blue Phone Wave!
- Join a training with the Maine Dems on Saturdays from 3:00 to 4:00 or Wednesdays from 6:00 to 7:00 — sign up HERE.
- As always, we welcome new and experienced phone bankers at our fun and social weekly phone bank party for Mainers, Thursdays 5:00 to 7:00 — sign up HERE.
- You can also join a detailed training for volunteers both within and outside Maine: Thursdays from 6:00 to 8:00 (sign up HERE) or Sundays 4:00 to 6:00 (sign up HERE).
Letters to the Editor
Write letters on your own or be on call to write them in response to news items; or reply to social media posts. We are coordinating an effort to keep Sara Gideon’s name in front of voters in a positive way, and make sure the Collins team doesn’t spread misinformation.
- Join our training on Wednesday, Aug. 12, at 6:30. For experienced letter writers as well as newcomers. Sign up HERE. Or email email@example.com, subject line “Media Team.”
Help inspire others to become active volunteers
Call fellow Swing Left Maine members and make sure they’re matched up with volunteer opportunities that fit their interests and abilities. This is a fun and satisfying form of volunteering, because you’re calling people who are likely to respond enthusiastically!
- We have a big list and need as many people pitching in as possible for this one-time job over the next couple of weeks. If you’d like to join the effort , email Rachel at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Last Week in Maine
- Having it both ways: Senator Collins made headlines this week by–what else?–waffling. She publicly declined to endorse Trump. Yet she also declined to endorse anyone else, or admit who she is voting for. She has remained mum on Trump, unlike 2016 when she penned a Washington Post Op Ed saying he wasn’t fit for office because of his “ill-informed comments” and his perilous “lack of self restraint.” Perhaps his comments have become better informed, and his self more restrained, in the last four years?
- Polling: The most recent Public Policy poll has Gideon leading Collins by 5 points, a slight increase over three weeks ago, when she led by 4. Despite this, almost all the pundits are still calling the race a toss-up.
- Heroes: Be a Hero publicly handed over $4.1 million dollars to Sara Gideon last week. This Crowdpac campaign raised the money, mostly in increments of $20.20, by pledging to donate it to Collins’s 2020 opponent if she voted to confirm Brett Kavanaugh to the Supreme Court.
- Never say die: The Maine GOP refused to accept yet another defeat of their challenge to Ranked Choice Voting. They are appealing the Sec. of State’s disqualification of their petition to remove the option from the Nov. presidential ballot.
That’s all for this week. As always, thanks for all your hard work in this critical election.
Amy and Paula
Contact us at email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org, and ask your friends to sign up to get our emails HERE. We are an all-volunteer affiliate of Swing Left and always happy to have new members.